The Institute for Africa and Middle East Studies (IAMES) is a research organization established by the Degree No.26/ND–CP dated 15 Jannuary 2004 of the Vietnamese Government. IAMES operation are regulated by the Decision of the President of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences (VASS) on functions, tasks, legal rights and organizational structure of the Institute for Africa and Middle East Studies. IAMES is assigned the task of carrying out research on basic issues of the African and Middle Eastern region and providing scientific arguments to the policy-making process of Vietnamese government. IAMES stands out as Vietnam’s only research institute focusing on African and Middle Eastern issues and to sustain this reputation, IAMES invests considerable efforts in research and innovation as part of an ongoing mission to advance national knowledge about African and Middle Eastern countries.
I. FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
As stipulated by the Decision No.240/QD-HLKHXH dated 27 February 2013 of the President of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences, IAMES has the following functions and tasks:
1. Carry out research on basic issues of the African and Middle Eastern region
2. Carry out research on theoretical and practical issues concerning development policies of the African and Middle Eastern region.
3. Set up long term, medium term and annual research plans concerning the African and Middle Eastern region. Organize and implement related research activities as assigned by the Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences (VASS)
4. Connect research results with training activities and implement post graduate training courses as stipulated by the Law. Take part in the process of human resource development as requested by the VASS in areas concerning the African and Middle Eastern region
5. Evaluate and take part in the evaluation process of socio-economic development programs, projects of various ministries, local authorities and enterprises as authorized by the VASS or as ordered by the concerned ministries, local authorities and enterprises.
6. Cooperate with other research organizations inside or out side VASS to apply research results to practical operations of ministries, local authorities and enterprises.
7. Providing scientific consulting services suitable to functions and tasks of IAMES.
8. Promote international cooperation in the field of scientific research as stipulated by current law.
9. Exchange scientific
information with other partners inside or outside Vietnam
10. Sign and implement scientific
research contracts with organizations and individuals inside and outside
11. Manage human resources and other State properties following regulations of the VASS and stipulation of the Law.
12. Carry out other tasks as assigned by the President of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences.
II. ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE.
IAMES consists of the following units:
1. The Directorate of IAMES
IAMES is directed by the Director and Deputy Directors who are nominated by Decision of the President of Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences.
- Acting Director: Dr. Nguyen Manh Hung
- Deputy Director: Dr. Le Duc Hanh
2. The Scientific Council
IAMES has a Scientific Council as an advisory unit assisting the Directorate’s activities. Members of the Scientific Council are decided by the Director General upon approval of the President of VASS. Functions of the Scientific Council are stipulated in the Regulations on Organization and Activities of Scientific Councils promulgated by Decision of the President of VASS .
3. Research Department/Centre
- Department for African Studies
- Department for Middle East Studies
- Department of Africa and Middle East
- Centre for South - South Studies
4. Research assistance unit
- The Library of IAMES
5. Directorate Assistance Unit
- Department of Personnel and Administrative Affairs
- Department of Scientific Management and International Cooperation
6. Review of Africa and
RAMES is a scientific printed matters of IAMES that serves as a forum for researchers and organizations, individuals that share common interests in issues of the African and Middle Eastern region. RAMES is published monthly and operates in accordance with regulations stipulated by current Law and other regulations of the VASS.
- Editor in Chief: Prof.Dr. Bui Nhat Quang
- Deputy Editor-in-Chief : Dr.Tran Thi Lan Huong
INSTITUTE FOR AFRICA
37 Kim Ma Thuong, Ba Dinh, Hanoi,
Tel: 84-4-3762 5684
Fax: 84-4-3832 6653